You want to smoke weed, cannabis, tobacco, or other herbal substances, but you need to spend on a bong. After all, spending on all those herbal substances was not enough; they want you to buy expensive bong filters. What if you can make one gravity bong? How amazing would that be? But for that, you need to know how bong works?
What you will need
To make one gravity bong, you need to follow specific steps and procedures. You need to have the following items:
- Plastic bottle (any size, preferably 15-20 Oz)
- Bucket or a bigger plastic bottle preferably 2 liter
- Aluminum foil paper
- Box cutter or a sharp knife
- Poking needle or device
- Cannabis strains
Steps in making a gravity bong
Making a gravity bong isn’t one of those complicated science lab experiments; you only need a couple of plastic bottles, take two. Remember, the larger the bottle, the better would be your homemade gravity bong. If you’re smoking alone, a small plastic bottle is enough, but with a company, get a big plastic bottle. Make sure that your plastic bottle fits into the second bigger plastic bottle or a bucket of water. Once you have the bottles, here are the next steps:
- Remove the mouthpiece of the first plastic bottle and cover it with aluminum foil, Make sure that you cover the entire opening with the foil. Make a small hole in the mouthpiece using a scissor or a box cutter. While wrapping it up in aluminum foil, you may have to cut off the excess aluminum foil and shape it into a divot to prevent cannabis from falling apart.
- Poke small holes into the foil of your gravity bong, don’t make big holes so the cannabis would travel down to the bottom of the bottle. You need the cannabis at the foil and the smoke to travel down for the gravity bong. While poking, make sure you don rip it up because it has to hold the cannabis strains for the gravity bong. You only need max up to 5 holes for proper ventilation.
- Cut the bottom half of the first plastic bottle and then find another plastic bottle or a bucket of water.
- After that, place the top half of the plastic bottle into the water-filled container or the bucket bong. Make sure that you don’t push down enough for the mouthpiece to be beneath the water; you want it to stay afloat.
- Sprinkle herbal cannabis on top of the aluminum foil of your gravity bong. Again you can grind the cannabis through your fingers or a grinder but don’t make them too small; else, they’ll fall into the bottom of the bottle.
- Light the sprinkled cannabis while lifting the bottle a little higher from the water, where the cap wrapped with aluminum should stay above water.
- Once your entire bottle is filled with smoke and submerged into the water, remove the aluminum foil or unscrew the cap, some smoke might escape, but it’s manageable. Make sure to hold the bottle tight so that all the smoke does not escape and cover the opening with your mouth to take a hit.
- Gently push the bottle down into the water while inhaling, but if you feel too much smoke, stop right there.
- You can take another hit or once the smoke is out light up more cannabis for your gravity bongs.
- It’s your choice to use another plastic bottle, but a bucket bong would be much easier due to a slid base.
Benefits of a Gravity Bong
Going through all that effort with a bucket bong, plastic bottles, smoke, and water, you sure want to know the benefits of a gravity bong. It comes in many shapes and sizes, depends on your creating. A gravity bong is also called a bucket bong if you use a bucket of water or a waterfall bong. Regardless of, however, you make a gravity bong. Gravity bongs have certain advantages, such as:
- Gravity bongs have smoother and big hits.
Unlike any other bong, gravity bongs do not irritate the throat, the water in the bottle kills the bacteria in the smoke, and it’s a refreshing experience. Plus, with a gravity bong, you can have much bigger hits than any other smoking device.
- Acts as a water filter
Gravity bongs sure are multi-purpose. They can act as a water filter, the bong not only cools the smoke, in fact, filters out the tar particles in the smoke due to the water at the end of the gravity bong bottle. It catches up the ash in the smoke before it gets to you.
A gravity bong doesn’t require much nuisance, it’s easy to clean, and perhaps you can reuse it. You just need to clean the bottle, or you can replace it, similarly add more water, cut the bottom and make another on. All you need is some more cannabis to light up. Make sure your smoke levels are manageable because often, you can misjudge the smoke coming out of the bottle. And make sure you don’t use much water if you’re making a waterfall bong. You even don’t have to change the foil, again and again, just ensure it doesn’t come off the bottle.
While we are it, do you want to know about Cannabidiol (CBD), the thermal compound derived from cannabis Sativa, or marijuana for that matter? If you’re undergoing all that effort to make a gravity bong, you need to know the benefits of CBD. For starters, it’s great for your skincare and waits. There’s more; it can relieve pain, reduce anxiety and depression, and could improve your heart health. How does that sound for smoking cannabis? It seems like every other gravity bong shall have CBD on top of the foil.
The Bottom Line
Sprinkling cannabis strains on a bottle sounds cool, and cannabis is the talk of the day but does know that using cannabis for medical reasons requires you to be careful more than before.
Making a gravity bong is a fun, easy DIY project, but be aware that there are also risks when you craft homemade bongs or smoking devices that use materials such as single-use plastic bottles, which contain PETE or PET (polyethylene terephthalate) that releases chemicals when heated. These chemicals can enter your lungs when applying heat to your gravity bong. It could be hazardous to your health to inhale these substances, so please proceed with caution.